Situated in the heart of Melbourne city, with world-class PA and lighting, three bars, and stage sight-lines from anywhere in the room, 170 Russell is one of Australia’s most loved concert venues. Opening as the Lido Theatre in 1965, the venue has a rich history of providing live entertainment across all genres of music for more than 50 years. With a 1,000-person capacity, the venue hosts some of Australia’s biggest touring acts alongside international artists and all your favourite festival sideshows.
Historic moments at the 170 Russell timeline include:
- Shirley Bassey launching the venue as the Lido Nightclub in 1970
- Chrissy Amphlett’s hundreds of shows as Linda Lipps in 1979’s Let My People Come stage production
- Tina Turner’s secret industry show in 1980
- INXS’ debut album launch in 1980
- John Farnham’s ten sold-out shows in the early ’80s
- Taylor Swift performing in 2009 when she was just 18