Words and image by Drumplings
Melbourne fusion restaurant Drumplings has put a savvy and cheeky spin on the classic bacon and egg roll.
- 100g crispy pork belly
- 1 whole free-range egg
- 20g chipotle mayonnaise
- 1 whole burger bao bun cut in half, burger style. You could substitute with a regular bao sandwich bun.
- 30g fresh cucumber cut into batons
- 5mL rice vinegar
- 1g raw sugar
- A pinch of salt
- A few leaves of fresh coriander
- A pinch of Sichuan pepper
- Steam the bun on greaseproof paper for approximately seven minutes, or until soft and spongy.
- Fry the egg sunny side up in a little butter. Quickly flip if you don’t want the egg yolk to be too runny.
- Heat the vinegar and add the sugar and salt until dissolved. Set aside, cool and add the cucumber batons. Mix well to ensure the cucumber pickles.
- Rub the pork belly with the pepper and heat in the grill or pan.
- To construct the slider, firstly place the pickled cucumber on the base of the bun, then add the crispy peppered pork belly, fried egg, chipotle mayonnaise, fresh coriander and finish with the top half of the bun.
- Garnish with a little more Sichuan pepper and get ready to serve.
- Use a skewer to hold it together and burst the egg yolk so it’s drooling out in front of your equally-drooling brunch bunch.
Enjoy, with love from the Drumplings team.